As I've been reading up on RA one of the things that is consistently stressed on every website and in every article I've read is the importance of support from family, and having family well informed on what is going on in my life will help me emotionally. I know you all have busy lives, but this disease has become such a huge part of my every day life I want to share with you what I'm going through, and I'm hoping it will really help me to know there are people I can talk to when I'm having a bad day or week.
I am in no way doing this to make anyone feel sorry for me, I just want to be treated normally and make people more aware what RA can do.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Think Positive!

World Arthritis Day (WAD) was this past Sunday, if I'd known then I would have thrown a massive party...balloons, streamers, cake. I guess I've got next year to look forward to. Woo Hoo! :)
Just kidding though, I would'nt really throw a party.

This year the theme for WAD was "Think Positive", their goal for this year is to acknowledge the challenges that arthritis patients are effected with, but not to dwell on them. They're trying to remind people that there are a lot of positive thins that can help us feel better, and still live a full and active (physically and mentally active) life.

This is a link to the leaflet they have available >>> Think Positive

One of the sections I liked especially in the pamphlet was talking about how knowing you have a chronic illness can lead you to feel angry, depressed, frustrated and helpless at times (quadruple check, on bad days that is!) but that it doesn't have to be that way, there are others we can talk to for support and things we can do ourselves to help us not dwell on the negative effects of RA.

I liked these ideas for helping cope, and I'm thinking in the future I'll take them one at a time and really apply them in my life. It will be good for me to have some positive goals (but really, does anyone intentionally make negative goals...?), instead of just thinking of what I can't do.

• Talk to other people with arthritis
• Talk to those close to you and those you work
with etc.
• Set yourself some achievable goals – to meet up
with friends, join a club, go to the cinema, have
a special meal
• Give yourself rewards / treats
• Take some form of regular exercise
• Make plans for the future – something to look
forward to

Another thing I liked is on the second page 4 people from all over the world shared their thoughts and experiences with having arthritis.
So from Nele in Belgium, this is my favorite part of those "...enjoy every minute without pain. I stop thinking of all the things I cannot do anymore and focus on the things I still can. And that is a lot!"

So that is what I'm really going to try and do. Sometimes it really gets me down and I just feel like throwing myself a pity party. Especially in weeks like this past week where I hurt so bad and just don't feelas capable of doing normal things. I can be grateful that I can walk, and hold my baby, I can be grateful for Andy who helps me whenever he's home, and for Avery who thankfully entertains himself. I am especially grateful that even though I am in pain, it's better than it has been in the past, and even if I'm uncomfortable I can still get things done.

So, here's to making goals and thinking positive!

1 comment:

Selissa said...

Way to go Kiz. I think we all take for granted what we can do. I think we all need to focus on those things and think positive.